The Creative Rut

February 11, 2017


The Creative Rut

One of my go-to methods to climb over a creative rut is to get abstract. Throw out any preconceived ideas, sketches or concepts and go back to the basics.
Feel the paint with your fingers, mix colors you would never think to, use the brush you hate and take the opportunity to truly experiment without allowing self-doubt or self-criticism in the room.
I used to think I had to break down creator's block by force but I've come to realize how unnatural that can be. These walls seem to pop up when your soul thinks it's time for you to grow and of course, always at the most inconvenient of times.
Don't try to push through by forcing it but rather climb over and look at it from the other side, from a different angle. 
Do this by experimenting with a medium or concept unfamiliar to you in order to wiggle out of your safety net of a cocoon and spread those wings. I guarantee you'll no longer see the wall as a stumbling block but rather an opportunity to fly.
Who was the beautiful soul who taught me this valuable lesson? 
My daughter, Eve. 

Just look at a child create and you will be reminded again and again the beauty of letting go and truly experiencing the creative process without getting in your head. 

The way it was always meant to be.




You Might Also Like

0 comments