Reindeers are better than people...

September 23, 2014


If you have even watched Frozen once then you will probably have the song "Reindeers are better than people" stuck in your head for the rest of the day. I apologize, but at the same time find a twisted satisfaction in knowing I won't be alone in humming the tune for all of today.

Today's post is about mine and Eve's latest collaboration called, "The Reindeer." Our inspiration came from a visit to the High Park petting zoo in Toronto and saw a variety of animals including several reindeer! (If you ever get the chance make sure to visit High Park, it is overwhelmingly beautiful)



So as I sat down to paint and Eve began making a "BIG dinosaur" out of her play dough, I asked what colors she wanted me to use. Offering up Pink and Blue as her decided colors I got to work while Eve watched. I'm still not sure she believed me when I repeatedly told her I wasn't painting Sven.



I really enjoyed painting this piece, I have always been drawn to deers and moose and they appear throughout my past art pieces. There is something majestic about an animal that appears to be so peaceful yet can become very powerful. Although a reindeer is a type of caribou, I discovered that drawing one feels like morphing a cow and moose together since a reindeer's face is not quite delicate as a deer's is. I used a dark blue for the undertones and added a layer of pink to include Eve's requests. Hope you enjoy!





Make sure to watch the time lapse video of the process from start to finish! 

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. It is just amazing to me how you create some incredible pieces. I love watching what you come up with. I am surprised you don't have more comments, you are incredibly talented and your daughter is so cute !!

    ~ Lu
    xx
    http://littlestepsbigheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lu!
      Thank you so much for your kind words! I'm still figuring out this whole blog thing so you'll have to bear with me :)
      There is no way I would be able to create these pieces without Eve's imagination and laying the foundation down with her creativity. She is my muse!
      Thank you again
      Ruth

      Delete